Saturday, February 09, 2008

Relief, and Some Wine

I spent last night in the town of Mankato, before a colleague and I spoke a student group about Sustainable Graphic Design (that's what I do for my day job). And if you know me, you know that I don't really do the public speaking thing. Maybe it was the public speaking class I took in college, where the professor criticized us for every little thing we did wrong. He was an old toastmasters loyalist, so maybe that's why he rubbed me the wrong way. Regardless, it's not my favorite thing to do, so I made an effort to at least relax a bit the night before.

So, we found a wine bar. Their website's not working right now, but the url is:

www.winecafebar.com/

I ordered the Woop Woop chardonnay, becuase my brother-in-law is a fan of the brand and I knew it would be good. She ordered the Chateau St. Michelle Pinot Grigio. For dinner, we shared the cheese plate, which actually lacked cheese per se, but had some wonderful toasted bread and a cream cheese spread, along with some fresh fruit and cucumber slices. Not what we expected, but it still hit the spot. We also ordered a greek pizza, loaded with tomatoes, olives, feta and mozzarella. The place was really hard to find (then again, I've never been to Mankato, so the whole town was foreign), and didn't look to hold much promise when we walked in. But we were both pleasently surprised. Oh, and there was live music. Pretty good live music at that.

And just so I don't forget, the presentation was well. We got a few laughs, and I think the students learned something. I know I did.

I also know I'll have more time now to post. Sorry about the delay, I was pretty distracted.

No comments: