Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A few days in Duluth, Part 1: New Scenic Cafe

We spent a few days in Duluth last weekend, and when we weren't hiking, biking or swimming, we were eating. Our first night, we decided to drive further up the shore (just 8 miles) to the New Scenic Cafe. This place was highly recommended my the In-Laws (and pretty much anyone else who's ever been to Duluth and has good taste). From the moment we pulled into their unpaved lot and were greeted by beautiful blossoms in their flower garden, I knew we were in for a treat. There were quite a few cars in the lot, but once inside, the restaurant was not crowded and very quaint. We were seated overlooking for garden and the lake, with a narrow highway between the two.

I like wine, but not even pretend to know much about it. If I like it I'll drink it, if I don't I won't. In the liquor store I chose my wines by the labels. On a wine list I chose by the names. I chose the D'Arenberg The Hermit Crab Marsanne/Viognier for obvious reasons. And it was delightful. Light and fruity, and very appropriate for our scorching hot weather. We had two servers for the evening, and we believe he was training her in. They both knew their wines and their food, and offered recommendations. We chose two appetizers, yet it could have easily been four. Husband had to go with his favorite, Escargot.

And these were great. No messy shells to worry about and look at that bread. There was a dallop of cilantro pesto atop each one along with lots of garlic butter and a tiny crouton. We also chose the Ahi Tuna Tacos, which I've been craving and talking about since.
Starting with a deep-friend wonton wrapper shaped like a taco shell, the cafe stuffs it with raw tuna and a few slices of avocado. Tuna and avocado, could it be better? It can. They serve the tacos with a beautiful asian slaw and a touch of homemade wasabi. And when I say homemade, I mean sinus-clearing-no-fooling-around-homemade. Wowzer, that's good. We licked the plate clean, took a sip of wine and moved onto the main courses. (Yes, there's more!)

Husband seemed to be doing the all-seafood weekend, so he chose the halibut served with avocado, black trumpet mushrooms, fresh peas and a creamy sauce. (There's avocado on top there, under the sauce, which makes it look kinds thick.) I stole a mushroom (I'm a recent convert) and was actually surprised to like the texture. The halibut was beautifully prepared, but I didn't get a bite.

I took a detour from my usual entree chose and went with the pork loin. It was served with a corn custard and grape tomato salad, and glazed with a chipotle sauce. The pork was really, really tender, the custard was piping hot and fresh from the ear, and the tomatoes offered a chilly contrast, both temperature and spice level. I just wish I would have been able to eat the whole thing. Sure is pretty, ain't it?

We had to pass on dessert, as my stomach was already maxed out. But an interesting side note. While our server was talking to a table near us, he asked if they were from Hawaii. Yes, they were. So was he. Small world. They talked of Hawaii surfing vs Lake Superior surfing, among other things, and we listened intently as we savored our meal. We should have gone back the next night, but it will have to wait until we make it up there again. Hopefully soon. Maybe tonight?

No comments: