Sunday, July 08, 2007

A Weekend of Eating - Right (Part 1)

I have no problem planning my days around food. And Saturday was no exception. The In-laws came down for the day, and we decided to head downtown for lunch, walk through the new Guthrie Theater, and just putz around town. The temperatures were going to be in the upper 90s, so a day of indoor activities seemed like a good idea.

We had lunch at a favorite restaurant, Spoonriver, just across the courtyard from the Guthrie. Owned by Brenda from Cafe Brenda, they focus on local, organic ingredients. Need I say more?
I started with a Passionfruit Belinni and a cup of their mango bisque. the soup was sweet and smooth, and very refreshing in the crazy heat. Husband tried their spicy bloody mary along with a cup of their watermelon-tomato gazpacho. Now that soup was damn good. There were layers, and layers of flavors, and an unidentified spice that we're guessing was due to some form of a mild pepper.

I always have such a hard time choosing an entree. Order's remorse, I guess I coudl call it. The choice I made at Spoonriver was definitely not regretful. I went with the Quesadilla, which was full of local smoked chicken, greek keseri cheese, mango and cranberry coulis. (I see a mango theme emerging). The quesadilla's were homey, yet really summery and full of flavor.


Mom-in-law ordered the buckwheat crepes filled with smoken salmon, dill creme fraiche and spinach. The sounded marvelous.

Husband and father-in-law went with the Lamb burger, and both described it as having a gyro-like flavor, and both said it was extremely tender. I didn't try it, not being able to stomach lamb.

And on to dessert. There were five to choose from, but we only were able to work our way through three. The included the flourless chocolate cake with fennel seeds (on one side) and fennel bark (on the other), served over a yogurt.

Then, onto the chocolate mouse with a sake infused apricot.


And a lemon curd with fresh fruit and lemon sorbet. Did I mention that I believe most of that fruit probably came from the farmers market just outside the door?

As we walked out, we commented to each other that the experience we just had was the way it should be in a restaurant. A laid-back atmosphere, attentive and knowledgeble service, and incredible food. I will be back. I just wish it could be today.

2 comments:

Tamami from Coco&Me said...

Never heard of sake infused apricot! Sounds amazing!

Thistlemoon said...

This place looks amazing! Such original ideas for food!