Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Kitchen

The next day I brought sister and her husband to a restaurant in Boulder that I had read about. It's called The Kitchen, and they're known for serving local, fresh ingredients in innovative ways. We chose to go for lunch to simply everything. From the moment we walked in, I felt at ease. The decor was light and airy, one wall was brick, another stone. There were two large paintings on the walls that were completely white canvases. Sister knew I love them and pointed it out. A chalkboard on the side wall listed the local providers of their products. The service turned out to be slow, but at least the food made up for it.

I started with an absolutely delightful cup of tomato soup. And that's what I love about restaurants that use local, in-season ingredients. The food tastes like what it should. This soup tasted like tomatoes. And nothing else. Good, warm, thick, ripe tomatoes.

I also ordered a lovely BLT served on a gouda biscuit. The bacon (local) tasted like bacon. Even the fatty end pieces tasted like bacon, and they weren't chewy or gristly, still crisp and tasty. The biscuit was moist, but held together pretty well. (It took me about four minutes to eat the whole thing, so I hope it stayed together.)

Sister ordered the zucchini and goat cheese fritatta, which was pretty as a picture, even though it was lacking the said goat cheese. She requested some on the side, and then she found it rather enjoyable.

Sister's husband ordered the lamb burger, which he said was very good, It was beautiful, but I don't eat lamb and made no attempt to show interest in it. I'll trust him.

Thinking we didn't have room for dessert, we moved on to continute our shopping along the Pearl Street Mall. It's a wonderous place to wander, with one-of-a-kind shops and restaurants (and unfortunately, a few chains). But I always have to stop at my favorite pet store, Farfel's Farm. Farfel is a big huge sheepdog, who was fast asleep in the front window. So cute. So tired. What a life. I picked up a couple treats for Dog and then found ourselves a treat.

We found wickedly-fun candy store where they sell all the good stuff. There are candy cigarettes, dot candy, rock candy, and M&M dispensers divided by color. I picked up a pack of Pop Rocks for the husband, and sister treated me to a bowl of mocha nut gelato. It was my first experience with gelato. And YUM!!

No comments: