Sunday, September 02, 2007

State fair, part 1...

It has become a tradition for me to go to the fair with friend L, as well as friend C from DC. Sometimes the three of us have gone together, other times, like this year, we go on two separate trips. Which is fine with me, because it means I get to go to the fair twice.

So last night was trip number 1. I met C from DC after work, and we wandered through the streets and vendors catching up and talking about the happy little bun she’s got in the oven. Married, and pregnant within weeks. Some girls have all the luck. C had been at the fair for a few hours before I got there, and said baby was taking up some room, so she left most of the eating to me. Yeah.

I started with my favorite, the cajun deep fried pickles from the food building.

Served with extra hot sauce and some ranch for dipping, they’re the perfect savory treat. Not too greasy, not too healthy. I enjoyed them as I walked north toward the Pet Building, because really, the dogs are the best part of the fair. I was in luck, and the Boston Terrier Club of Minnesota was camped out next to the building. I got to hold an adorable little girl named Milly and wanted to swipe her, but no, I gave her back. So sweet.

Then onto meet C and find some more grub. Its just so hard to decide. I don’t want to eat too much, and don’t want to eat the same things every year, but the foot long was calling my name when I walked past. You heard it, didn’t you? Smothered in onions and ketchup, there’s nothing better.

After the dog, we made our way through the Miracle of Birth Center to check out the new babies and watch some videos of others being born. Last year I saw two calfs being born in person. This year, no such luck.

I stopped to chat with a cow, who appeared to have just had a baby. She stared at me much like I was staring at her. This is crazy, but I think cows are beautiful. I love the contrast of the white and black fur. They look so clean. This is a four day old piglet who had fallen asleep while suckling.

An itty, bitty lamb cuddled up to its mother.
And a whole mess of piglets trying to get some dinner. We learned that each piglet get their own teet. Everytime they feed, the look for the same one, which explains the jostling and rolling of the little piglet bodies. Ohhh, they are just too darn cute!

And on to more food.
C was looking for something sweet and she had a coupon for strawberry shortcake. I have an aversion to fake fruit, and honestly, this was no exception. The berries were too red, and too soft, and I didn't even have an interest in a bite.

Besides, sweet stuff and the fair just don't go together for me, which is probably what lead me to this beautiful carnitas taco. The whole time I was wolfing it down, the juice from the pork was dripping onto my toes. Now its a tradition to run home and wash my feet after going to the fair, because, well, there are barns and stuff in the barns, but I don't normally drip juice from a taco on my toes. Oh well, the dog sure thought my feet smelled good when I got home. Yuck.

Part two of the fair to come, I can't wait to go again!

2 comments:

C said...

I'm all over the friend pickles next year!!!

Jenn said...

oh yeah, baby, we'll do a double (or triple) order!!