Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The MN State Fair, part 2

I made it back. Every year I think about returning to my beloved State Fair on its last day, Labor day. And this year, L and I made it back. We took the city bus, route number 84, which cruised fairly close (2 blocks) from my house and dropped us off right at the door of the fair. With our free ride coupons, it couldn't have been easier. The hardest part of the day was the temperature, which reached a hot and sticky 90 degrees. Isn't it September?

So, we started in the food building. (One of my favorites). I had heard a lot about this wild rice booth, with wild rice hamburgers and wild rice corn dogs. I opted for the corn dog (it was half the price and size). And I have to say I was disappointed. It tasted like a corn dog. A regular corn dog. Oh well, it was still good, and I have to hope healthier.

L started with the cheese curds, and I couldn't take a picture because my fingers would have drowned the camera in grease. But they were good, and somehow I ended up holding them because she started shopping. Funny how that happens.

We moved on to the barns before they closed (early on the last day) and had a nice conversation with a very happy cow, just before almost being peed on by another cow. They looked very tired, as did their people. Ten days of non-stop spectators has got to be exhausting.
After our digestion break, I found a handmade pretzel. (Not bad, boring for the fair, but again healthy).

And lisa found a taco.
And then we went overboard. Lisa found her favorite London Broil sandwich, full of juicy grilled roast beef and a heap of mushrooms. Now that I'm a mushroom fan it actually looked good. But I was able to control myself. until we found Giggles, a lively food stand near Machinery Hill that featured local (taadaa) ingredients. I went with the ($7) Walleye Fries. and they were worth it (although warm on a hot day).

They were crisp and meaty and the coating (Panko) was hearty. One of the best foods I've had at the fair. Until this.

Despite what you think, its a belgian waffle coated in dark chocolate on a stick. I skipped the whipped cream and sprinkles for obvious reasons (corn dog, curds, pretzel, walleye) and even so, it was heaven. The chocolate was rich, but not too sweet. The waffle was crispy on the outside, but had soft innards. The stick came too soon, and I finished just before we boarded the bus for home, so I wasn't able to make it back for another one. But there's always next year, right?

1 comment:

Dr Em said...

hi! I need to find a recipe for my bookclub and I thought I'd check out your blog for something good and local.

Giggles is one of my favorite stops at The Fair! I love the walleye cakes. I have always wanted to try the fudge puppy - it looks awesome. It's on my list for next year. My absolute favorite thing to eat at the fair is the turkey sandwich at the "Best Darn Bird" turley stand. It's pulled turkey from a deep fried bird. SO GOOD. I usually eat two.