Saturday, August 18, 2007

Freezing corn on a Saturday night!!

I really need to get a life. On the drive back from Garlic Fest (more on that later), I stopped at a roadside stand and picked up a dozen beautiful ears of corn and a few pounds of tomatoes. (note the tomatoes and the glass of wine in the photo.) I should have noticed the name of the farm, because the woman helping me couldn't have been sweeter, and even walked me through her own process of freezing corn. And despite the rainy weather, the day was perfect.

I set my largest pot on the stove loaded with water and started husking the corn. And this was beautiful corn. I could feel the moisture of the kernels as I tore off the husks. A quick boil of 8 minutes, and brief introduction to a cold bath, and then I cut the kernels off the cobs and loaded them into freezer bags. I ended up with eight cups of kernels, and will probably need to freeze more for the long winter.

I'm looking forward to warm bowls of corn chowder, as well as this recipe from my new favorite book, Serving up the Harvest.

Corn Risotto
(serves 4)

1 cup water
kernels from 3 ears corn
3 1/2 veg. or cx stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 t sugar
1/2 t ground turmeric
2 T evoo (thanks rachel)
2 c. arborio rice
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
2 shallots, minced
1/4 pound turkey breast, diced
1/4 c chopped basil
salt and pepper

1. bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. add the kernels from two ears of the corn, cover and cook until quite tender, 2-3 minutes. let cool slightly, pour into blender and puree

2. return the corn puree to the saucepan and add the chicken broth, wine, sugar and tumeric. heat to boiling, then reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer.

3. heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. add the rice, bell pepper, and shallots and sauté until the rice looks dry, 4-5 minutes

4. add 1 cup of the corn-broth mixture and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the liquid is absorbed. continue adding more of the mixture, 1 cup at a time, cooking and stirring after each addition. the liquid should be mostly absorbed before you add the next cup

5. when all the brogh has been added, remove from the heat. stire inthe turkey, the remaining corn, and the basil. season with salt and pepper. cover and let heat through for about 1 minute. serve immediately

No comments: