Friday, August 31, 2007


Happy little thai eggplants.


What a find. At Garlic Fest last week (yes, still more on that later), there was a vendor selling just the cutest little thai eggplants. I recognized the little green balls from the Sweet Green Curry that I can't get enough of from True Thai Restaurant in Minneapolis. The ones I found ranged in size from a cherry tomato to that of a small peach. The skin is crisp, and the innards a little softer and full of seeds. I searched around for a recipe and really didn't find very much. I could have just followed any old green curry recipe, but I was looking for something different.


I found this at epicurious.com: jungle curry with pork and thai eggplant

The recipe turned out to be very easy, just some chopping for prep and a bit of stir-frying. I was able to use my beautiful cast iron wok, which really doesn't get used enough. And of course, we used our rice cooker, because how can anyone live without one of those things. Along with the eggplants, which are crisp and fresh, there was fresh ginger, red jalapenos, baby corns (fun) and green beans.

Not all of the ingredients were local, but maybe 80%. Or 50%? The rice, the red curry paste and the fish sauce are the obvious ones to name. But the dish was born from the eggplants and the pork, which were both local. And the beans. The beans were local. Where does baby corn come from? Click here to see what Wikipedia says; Baby Corns. Huh. We all just learned something new.

Regardless, the meal was great, and even provided me with lunch for the next two days. Husband wasn't a fan of the little eggplants, but I was. So more for me, right?

2 comments:

Dr Em said...

where did you the red curry paste? I am thinking of making my own. It will require a trip to United Noodles tho.

Anonymous said...

I just added your blog site to my blogroll, I pray you would give some thought to doing the same.