Sunday, August 26, 2007

It's time to be honest..

This eating local thing is really hard. Just ask K! I've snuck a couple bananas, but only one diet coke, and I even (shame on me) had a mango smoothie. (Although I don't think there were any actual mangos in the packaged mixture.

But I've had some successes. The local corn right now is fabulous. I've been enjoying Cultural Revolution yogurt with farmers market raspberries. I bought some fun little ground cherries, and have been snacking on them. Two weeks in a row we've had mashed potatoes, because they're easy and potatoes are available. But my proudest achievement was the Cedar Summit Farm meal. It included rib-eye steaks from the farm, the mashed potatoes were made with the farms butter and milk, the bread was buttered with the beautiful stuff, and the bernaise sauce was made with the same milk and butter. I only regret not buying more of their cheese.

So it's been interesting. I found a "local" peanut butter, or at least its manufactured here. I'm determined to buy my eggs and most of my meat direct from the farmer. I'm starting to fill our freezer with frozen goods. But day-to-day, my stomach often wins out over my mind.

There are more local stories to come, including the adorable little thai eggplants I found at Garlic Fest. Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Mmmm... I love the Parker's Farm Peanut Butter. Love that the crunchy has whole peanut halves in it. I hide it from my kids!

Jenn said...

Yes, the whole peanut halves were a happy little surprise. But I doubt Parkers Farm grows their own peanuts... I won't even ask.