Monday, October 15, 2007

Again, Cafe Maude

We went out for girls night the other day, and again tried the lovely neighborhood hotspot, Cafe Maude. I went there for my birthday a few months ago and was very impressed. And this time, although service was spotty and slow, the food was well worth the wait. There were seven of us, and K started the evening by sharing a great bottle of champagne. Just celebrating our friendship.

And then we started with cheese plate. The cheese plate was my favorite dish last time I was there and I was glad to see they hadn't changed it. It included a grilled haloumi, Saint Pete's blue with honey and pine nuts, Saint Andre with mushrooms and Bucheron; it was soft and slightly stinky, but just warmed up my insides. Served with a warm baguette, its a fabulous start to a meal.

After the cheese plate, and a glass of chardonnay, the plates started hitting the table furiously. T&K ordered the crab cakes and the ahi tuna brushetta. M ordered the Greek salad with zucchini and goat cheese fritters (that she was gracious enough to share).

L on my right ordered the tomato bisque, which she said was good, but it was the goat-cheese-grilled-cheese that she said sent her to her happy place. Just looking at it made me drool, and at some point, I'll be making that combination at home.

When the main dishes arrived, I knew I had made the right decision. I was torn about what to order; stuck between a burger with avocado, or one of the flatbreads. And then our server told us about the specials. There were a few of them, but it was the grilled prawns with lobster and saffron risotto that stopped my heart. The plate was beautiful when it arrived, and the taste was even better. My only complaint, that the shrimp were served full, with their heads on. Sorry, I know that's the fancy way, but it kinda creeps me out. T gave me dissection instructions and I found the whole meal very delicious and like L's goat-cheese-grilled-cheese, it sent me to a very rich happy place.

Everyone else's food look great.

L across from me had the burger, which looked perfectly done. G had a chicken flatbread and M continued with the hangar steak. And finally, the fries showed up. These are real fries, made with real potatoes, and they've never seen the inside of a freezer. And, to make them even better, they're served with a cheese fondue, which I could swear had a hint of truffle in it. It's impossible to just eat one. And even more impossible to believe that when our server offered us a (free) second order, we said no. NO! Wow. We were either drunk, or were truly, truly full.

No comments: