Wednesday, October 17, 2007


I finally made it to Common Roots Cafe

I made it there early this morning and brought a dozen beautiful bagels and some scrumptious cream cheese to the Office. First impressions are important, and the interior of Common Roots is all I could have expected. The atmosphere is clean, and airy and very inviting. The baked goods and pasta salads all looked divine, as did the vegan chili and the cherry tart. It was all I could do to not still the whole thing in my purse. Made with Door County cherries, it was the size of a medium pizza and could have fed me for the day. But, no tart for me today, just the bagels.

There has been a lot of hype around this cafe and these bagels, and I have to say they were good. Now, I've never had an authentic New York bagel, so I have nothing to compare it to, but these were good. They (yes, I had two) are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. I smothered mine in Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese (which I could have eaten with a spoon, but my coworkers would have been skinned me for taking it all). Reviews were good. One person said they needed to be microwaved, but others appreciated the tough exterior. I didn't try the toaster, but that may have made them even tougher. Despite the picky people, most people really enjoyed them, or maybe they were just happy with free food.

I'll be going back, next time to for lunch. And a bite of that tart.

3 comments:

jaimehotdish said...

yaaay! so glad you've been able to enjoy them. in my personal opinion, they can't even be compared to new york bagels - but they are definitely the best in the midwest!

note: if you toast them, they turn into something like chewy melba toast. i don't recommend.

painted fish studio said...

why didn't you bring the shaffer sisters bagels for breakfast?!

microwave? toaster? i haven't had a bagel from common roots yet, but i have had them in new york. (i've heard common roots is about as close as we're going to get to a ny bagel without dealing with the hell of jfk airport).

a note to minnesotans: brueggers bagels should not be used to set the bar on what is a great bagel (nor should those nasty lenders bagels). maybe that's why the less-than-rave reviews from coworkers? or am i being a bagel snob?

i will still make it over there some day. i'm still working on the getting up early.

Jenn said...

We all know we can't trust coworkers, or at least my coworkers for food reviews. They go out of their way to eat at Rocky Rococo. I didn't even know that existed anymore!