Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I'm not rolling out the red carpet quite yet....

Driving back to my office after lunch at the Edina institution, Pearsons, I noticed a banner on the new building on 50th and France. It read "Coming Soon: Sur La Table." I immediately picked up my cell phone and called K to let her know. She was just as excited as I was. We planned to take a field trip back there when it opened.

And then I started thinking.

A block west of their new location is Cooks of Crocus Hill's Edina location. Almost as old as I am, Cooks first opened in 1974 on Grand Avenue in St. Paul. Cooks is one of my favorite stores, and always a treat to explore. When I started perusing the Sur La Table website, I couldn't help but notice they would be competing with a well-loved, local store. What will happen when the national chain opens just down the street? I hope the local residents of Minneapolis and Edina will continue to take culinary courses and buy their colanders from Cooks, but what about tourists and other visitors to the region? Will a visit to the chain wrap up a perfect afternoon after lunch at the Cheesecake Factory just a few miles away?

When it opens I'll go there. I'll nose around. But I'll spend my money at Cooks. And take classes at Cooks.

Now I want to know what you're thinking. Will you go there? Will you take classes there? Would you eat at the Cheesecake Factory?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, if i was a visitor to your state, I think i would prefer go to the Sur La Table rather than the old Cooks.
Sounds like the fight between meg rayan and tom hanks in the movie 'u've got mail'

Jenn said...

Thanks for the comment, but of course, i want to know more. Why Sur La Table instead of Cooks?

Anonymous said...

Good words.