Saturday, June 23, 2007

Taste # 22-23

A gold medal park
Outdoor noshers have a fabulous new picnic destination: Gold Medal Park. Here’s the plan: Drop by the grab-and-go case at Spoonriver for a turkey-mango chutney sandwich, a blue cheese-walnut-apple salad or a chicken quesadilla (don’t forget a refreshing bottle of Vignette soda, made with pinot noir or chardonnay grape juice). Hike up the park’s observation mound, take a seat on one of the Brazilian hardwood benches and soak up the breathtaking riverfront view.



You can't go wrong with either of Brenda Langton's restaurants. Her first, Cafe Brenda, has been a favorite of mine since I started working in the warehouse district. To say I was excited to try out her new place, Spoonriver, when it opened last year was an understatement. Their website reads:

"Committed to the Advancement of Organics, The Support of Local Farmers and Serving the Freshest, Most Delicious Food Possible."

And I think they've accomplished that.

J and I chose # 22 and 23 from StarTribune's Taste 50 for lunch the other day and were absolutely delighted. The weather was perfect, the sun was out, it wasn't too hot and the food was just delightful. We picked up lunch and walked to the newly opened Gold Medal Park. At the top of the spirally path, we followed the strib's recommendations and sat down to enjoy out lunch. I was surprised there wasn't more competition for the fun benches and fabulous view, but I wasn't complaining. After driving by the slowly-developing park for the last 18 months, it was great to actually be sitti
ng at the top.


J chose a brie and arugula sandwich and a gorgeous salad for later that day. I promised her I would quote her, so here's the email I received:

"mmmmmmmmmmm...... right now I'm eating one of the best apple/walnut/gorgonzola salads I've ever had."


It looked mighty tasty, i must say. I chose the turkey sandwich with mango chutney. I'm a sucker for mangos, so there really was not other choice (except for the brie sandwich that J already laid claim to.) The sandwich was fresh, the bread was hearty and with a bag of organic potato chips, I was one happy little picnicker.


I also found a great bottle of "wine country soda" called Vignette. While it didn't exactly taste like Chardonnay, it was light and refreshing and perfect to sip at the top of a large mound over looking the Mississippi. (yeah, I know a real Chardonnay would have been better, but it's the lunch hour, folks, some people have to work.)


(Can i say that the coolest part of these photos is the amazing backdrop. You can really see how high we are when you pull your eyes from the food and look behind it. See you on the top!)

1 comment:

Marye said...

YUM! hopping on a plane right now... ;)