Friday, January 04, 2008


A Couple Easy, Tasty Weeknight Dinners

What could be better on a cold winter night, but tomato soup and grilled cheese? Oh, I know, tomato soup made with the tomatoes from your own garden and then frozen for just this occasion. I only wish I could find or remember which recipe I used for the soup. But it was good, with just a hint of spice and a true tomatoey taste (is that word). To go with the soup, we made grilled cheese sandwiches in our panini press, which just so happened to be featured the next day in the Star Tribune taste section. Our brand, Breville, was grand champion, and we tend to agree. Not only does it make killer panini sandwiches, it opens up for pancakes or grilling. What, more cooking space? Now I just need more counter space. Oh, I almost forgot, we drank a fun cabernet with our formal dinner. Just what it needed.

And then the next night, when I was in the mood to cook again, we went for a new Cooking Light recipe, which was a huge success.

Indian-Spiced Chicken with Tomato Chutney is full of flavor and not of fat. I really loved the chutney, a combination of garlic, ginger, tomatoes, shallots and a spicy little chile pepper. I would make just the chutney, and serve it with rice or pork and a sturdy white fish. Highly recommended, and easy at that.


No comments: