Saturday, November 10, 2007

Birthday Pumpkin Scones

It was my great-aunts 94th birthday last week and its been our tradition (since her 90th) that all the ladies in the family take her out to tea. This year the tea house was booked, so we took her to lunch at another favorite historial site, W.A. Frost.

Frost has a beautiful patio out back and its a favorite of mine for a mid-summer cocktail. Or brunch, or lunch like we did today.

To begin with, my aunt loves her sweets, and she deserves them because she's one of the most amazing, inspiring women I've ever met in my life. At 94 she's sharp as a tack and her sense of humor keeps all of us rolling. For her birthday, I borrowed a recipe from Morning Coffee & Afternoon Tea, and baked her pumpkin scones. She's a fan of Pumpkin Pie and her building does not provide breakfast, so it was a no-brainer.

When I opened the tin at the restaurant, the warm, autumn scent of pumpkin filled the room. I hope she enjoys them.

More on lunch tomorrow.

No comments: