Monday, November 19, 2007

Yams!!

Such a fun word to say. Yam, yam, yam. I'm making them for one Thanksgiving dinner and got this response when I offered to bring them to the second Thanksgiving.

"No, Sam-I-Am, I do not like yams. I do not like them on a tram, I do not like them served with jam - I do not like them Sam-I-Am!! Sorry I couldn’t resist."

I don't like them served with jam either, just a bit of butter and they're perfect. Since there are so many misconceptions about these fabulous, and ugle, vegetables, I thought I'd look up some details.

Wikipedia says,
Yams are high in Vitamin C, dietary fiber, Vitamin B6, potassium, and manganese; while being low in saturated fat, sodium, and cholesterol. Vitamin C, dietary fiber and Vitamin B6 may all promote good health[3]. Furthermore, a product that is high in potassium and low in sodium is likely to produce a good potassium-sodium balance in the human body, and so protect against osteoporosis and heart disease[4]. Having a low level of saturated fat is also helpful for protection against heart disease

I work with a woman who will just pop a yam into the microwave and eat it as is. They're sweet, and hearty and make a fabulous meal on the go. I'm not sure why I don't bring them home more often, except that Husband doesn't like them. Sweet Potato's are grown in the U.S. and are often called Yams.

I'm also a fan of Cooking Light, so here are a few recipes with yams. If you try one, let me know how it is!

Praline Banana-Yam Pudding


Sweet Potato-Pecan Pancakes

Yam Nuea Yang (Spicy Beef Salad)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I yam another one of those that eats plain yams....with a little butter of course! I'm going to try to slip some past the Indian in-laws this Thanksgiving