Wednesday, November 21, 2007

I finally tried it. Bewiched.

There's a new deli in the neighborhood, and while I've stopped by there many a late afternoon for one of their butter-laden oatmeal or peanut butter cookies, I haven't truly attempted a meal. the main reason is the price. These guys have gotten a lot of press. The paper covered them last week and gave them a great review (3 of 4 stars). There are a couple of dialogues on Chow.com.

Most sandwiches fall between $9.50 and $11.50. That's fine for dinner or on the weekend, but for an everyday lunch, it just can't happen.

So, today I went down for soup. Co-worker has raved about the soup since the place opened, so I decided to give it a shot. There were four soup offerings today, and they all sounded good. They had their Ministrone, Tomato and Bread with Basil, Beer Cheese (that brought back memories) and Shrimp Bisque. Knowing the cheese or bisque would send me to the couch for a nap, I chose the tomato. And I was pleased.

The soup was served piping hot and was loaded with tomatoes, fresh basil, chunks of great bread and I even saw a few roasted garlic slices. And it tasted like everything I just listed. Very fresh, perfect for a quick lunch on a cold November day. And it was served with dense, crunchy bread. And I got a cookie. Peanut Butter this time.

So, yes, I recommend it. But maybe bring a friend, share one of their huge sandwiches. or go for the soup and a cookie, plenty of food and a little change in your pocket as well.

1 comment:

painted fish studio said...

you, me, and anna should meet there for lunch sometime!