Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thanksgiving, Part 2.

On to the main course.

On paper, as in a recipe in a magazine, cooking a turkey sounds really easy. Start it in a hot oven, turn it down and when the dark meat is 165 degrees, pull the bird out the often, and let it rest. But what happens when the carver announces that the bird is still bleeding? I guess put a cover on the potatoes, put some foil on the yams and pour another glass of wine.

After a slight delay and a quick debate on if its safe to eat undercooked poultry, we sat down at the table. I listed the menu the other day, so I won't bore you with it again. But the photo above shoes the Yams with Orange-Chipotle Glaze. They were good, but could have used more bit, at least they weren't too sweet. Also in the photo are the Wasabi and Green Onion mashed potatoes. They were excellent. Potatoes, cream and butter, what could go wrong?


On the other end of the table were the roasted green beans (in a hot oven until toasty), the cranberry sauce and a cornbread stuffing with root vegetables. I really liked the stuffing because of the surprises. There were all kinds of vegetables, including carrots and parsnips and even some mushrooms. But all the flavors melded together really well.

So even after a turkey fiasco dinner was great. While cooking we were fortunate to spot a family of deer as well as a few wild turkeys. They were happy to be outside, and not in the oven.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, yams with Orange Chipotle Glaze! That might actually make me eat a dish I usually pass over!
Happy Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for a while now, and haven't been able to comment due to my lack of a working Google account (long story involving bureaucracy and too much frustration)

Anyway....that turkey disappointment, so sorry to hear about that. When people ask me about turkey, I always say that the temp should be closer to 175, or even 180 before it's removed. And I suggest a good broth bath for roasting, plus a nice foil tent for catching all that steam. I always do mine on the grill. You can see my post on it if you like.

http://cooknkate.wordpress.com/2007/11/26/when-the-partys-over-2/