Thursday, November 15, 2007


Quail Eggs at Spoonriver. Or not.

I met a couple friends for lunch at one of my favorite restaurants the other day, Spoonriver.
This gem of a restaurant is owned by Brenda Langton, of my other favorite restaurant, Cafe Brenda. Before we got there, JD called and said she would not eat Quail Eggs. Try as I might, she absolutely refused. I didn't even realize they were on the menu, but then I remembered that JD is a self-proclaimed "picky-eater" and I shouldn't have been surprised. She also said there were plenty of other things on the menu she would enjoy.

And enjoy we did. The service at Spoonriver is just really amazing. Our server was laid-back, friendly, new his food, had a sense of humor and really made it a lovely experience. I think he's waited on me before, and he's definitely good at what he does.

The friends ordered the Ceaser salad with Free Range Chicken. I ordered the vegetarian special, which was a Zuni Stew served with a Spicy Cheese Quesadilla. The Stew was loaded with Beans and tomatoes and squash and all kinds of good things, including toasted pumpkin seeds on top. The Quesadilla has some sort of mellow spice along with the cheese and crunchy tortillas. The Salads were a hit with the girls, as was the beautiful space of the restaurant.

But we did decided next time we meet its for happy hour so wine can be poured. What were we thinking?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can we pleeease go here when I am in town again? I love Brenda! Also.....how come Good Earth doesn't ever get any love? You mustn't forget the roots. Yes, pun intended :)

Jenn said...

C.... come home. Pop that baby out and come home so we can eat! Of course I'll take you there!! Can't wait!