Sunday, November 11, 2007

Burgers, Beets and Birthday Cheesecake?

Part 2 of my great-aunts birthday celebration at W.A. Frost included a whole lot of burgers. My beautiful niece devoured a lovely cheeseburger and I had a plate of beautiful beet risotto with mushroom sauce and broccolli.

The burger looked great. H got the portebello burger, which she absolutely loved. My biggest fear about a portebello burger is that the mushroom would be too much to handle. But this one looked great. There was avocado and pepperjack cheese as well, and I definitely know what I'm ordering next time. Oh, the the fries I kept stealing off plates had to be hand-cut. Maybe a plate of those next time, too.

But the beet risotto was darn good as well. The broccoli was a nice contrast to the rich risotto, and makes for a very pretty plate as well. The risotto had a great beet flavor, without knocking me over the head with the earthiness. The mushroom sauce was all mushroom, and I would love to know how they made it. I think it would be great on just some short pasta and a lot of parmesan cheese. Yum...

For dessert I ordered my aunt the caramel apple cheesecake. I wanted something that could hold a candle and the banana fritters didn't sound like the thing. And it was beautiful. I can't remember Frost putting so much effort into their plating on past visits, but I have to say it really was a nice surprise. Although not a cheesecake fan, the star-shaped cookie that came with the cake had a beautiful clove/cinnamon/ginger flavor. Yum.

No comments: